THE CASTLE OF DUPLJE
The castle of Duplje is a small country nobleman residence, without any form of strong fortification. There is not enough information to present its complete history. In spite of all we have enough details to put together satisfying representation of its history.
The Knights of Duplje are mentioned in the beginning of 13th century. We can't be sure for the exact place of the residence in that time. The first written mentioning Knights of Duplje is placed between 1205 and 1208. Later in the 14th century they were mentioned in the years of 1343, 1360,1363 and 1374.
document from 1374
The 15th and 16th centuries are poor with information. The most important time for prosperity became 17th century. In 1614 family Crabath became the owner of the castle. Between 1625 and 1644 the owner was Jurij Crabath and from 1647 Jan Gasper Crabath. In 1657 Elizabeta Crabath married Wolfgang Theodoric von Posarelli. Rights of possession were in Posarelli’s property register, written after Elizabeta Crabath died in 1677. This consistent list brought us an inside image of the place and interior decorating of that era. Later the J.V. Valvasor’s engraving in 1679 brought us the real picture of outside castle’s look. At that time the building was higher for one floor, the ground place was a little different, but in spite of latest changes the fundamental walls and main room disposition remained the same until today.
Valvasor’s engraving of the castle; 1679
Between 1687 to 1702 the owner was Franc Josef Posarelli. After him his son Anton Franc Josef Posarelli took over the property. He was a deputy for two times and head of provincial assembly. In 1732 he became the member of Saint Dizma society, accompanied with educated nobleman, who established “Academia Operosorum”, the association of baroque manners at that time in our country.
A.F.Posarrelli's coat of arms, 1732, memorial book of Saint Dizma society
In memorial book of association, called “Theatrum mamoriale nobilis ac almae societatis unitorum”, we can find his coat of arms with dedication by his inclusion. Anton Franc Josef Posarelli renewed the castle and ordered to decorate front wall with paintings, which today are restored and give us representative baroque view.
A.F.Posarelli, property left register, 1759
We know the inside, the arrangement of places, the decoration, how the furniture of that time looked, from saved property left register, written after his death in 1759. The arrangement was nearly identical to today’s, naturally we must consider that the building was higher for one floor. Among important places that are mentioned, are the kitchen in the ground floor, lower and upper hall with rooms on its left and right side. Three of them are especially important. The first floor room was well equipped with furniture, carpets, mirrors and with nine pictures on the walls. There was also a dinning room in the first floor, with oval table for twelve people and belonging equipment. This room was also decorated with some pictures. The third room was a bedroom in the second floor, once as a wooden part of the building, with walls covered with well decorated wooden frames with green fillers. There were a table, three beds and two family portraits on the wall. In the property left register are especially mentioned books. Two of them are well known for us: “Die Ehre des Herzogthums Crain” in four parts, written by J.V. Valvasor and his Topographic With engravings of all castles in our country. Anton Franc Josef Posarelli was buried in church of Naklo. Unfortunately, his death ment permanent failing of the property. His children, there were five of them, never lived in the castle. 1773 they sold the property to Luka Smole. So the castle went from a nobleman’s possession to the middle class. Five years later he sold the property to the parish priest, Franc Pleterski from the nearby village Kovor, who lived here until 1785. Further owners were changing very frequently, until the castle became a farm at the end. Finally, the castle was demolished in a fire in 1832.
The castle before reconstruction; 1976 after reconstruction; 1985
After that, the building was lowered for one floor and shortened for one third of its length. In next 150 years almost everything, that gave the building the castle look, dissapeared. The renovation from 1976 to 1985 requested a lot of ideas and a big measure of compromising between original remained elements and new ones, added in a spirit of old castle architecture. Following this idea in its realization made a monument. Today, the building is a museum and a gallery. In the year 1985 the building was announced as a historical and cultural monument.
The central room in first floor A view to the first floor’s room